Living Room Sets383 items starting at $645
About Living Room Sets
What exactly defines a living room set and how do you make one work in your home? Get all the tips here.
Living Room Set Components
A living room set, which “groups” together a sofa, loveseat, chair and/or other living room furniture pieces, makes furniture shopping easy and affordable. By purchasing a set, you don’t have to fret about which sofa goes with which chair – spending hours stressing over whether or not one color or style will conflict with another. Since sets solve all the work for you, pairing together chic pieces designed to go together, you can rest easy when it comes time to purchase – knowing you’ve made the right choice.
While all living room sets come equipped with pieces designed for living rooms and dens, not all come in the same shapes and sizes. Here are some of the most common variations:
- Sofa + two chairs: A classic living room set, the sofa-plus-two-chairs provides all the comfy seating you and your guests could want – in one streamlined, no-hassle aesthetic.
- Sofa + loveseat: Another classic living room set, a sofa-plus-loveseat is an easy way to seat (approximately) five people in a small amount of space.
- Loveseat + sleeper: With a loveseat-plus-sleeper, you get all the benefits of a loveseat-plus-sofa-plus-bed, plus efficient, room-saving dimensions. Perfect for those who are tight on space – but find themselves needing to host the occasional overnight guest.
- Sofa, loveseat + swivel accent chair: A living room set with a sofa, loveseat and swivel chair brings a fun spin to the classic living room set arrangement – especially when the swivel chair comes in an accent design!
- Sofa, loveseat + chaise: On their own, a sofa and loveseat make for a living room set you can’t go wrong with – but throw in a chaise, and you’ve got yourself a comfort haven! Perfect for homes that need to be able to seat or host five to six people.
- Sectional + accent ottoman: If you have more room to work with, consider going for a living room set with a sectional. (Bonus points if it comes with an accent ottoman – which you can effortlessly use to double as a chic coffee table when needed!)
Each arrangement of living room sets comes with its own distinct style features and details.
Here are just a few:
- Accent upholstery: In most living room sets that feature three or more pieces, at least one piece will be designed as the “accent” – upholstered in a statement color and/or pattern.
- Throw pillow designs: Another feature to look for when choosing a living room set is the design of the throw pillows. With such fun upholstery options to choose from, they pretty much act as smaller, softer, more “portable” versions of accent furniture!
- Versatile style options: When it comes to finding furniture that will fit in with your ever-changing taste, versatility is major. Luckily, most living room sets come in colors and with other aesthetic details designed for neutrality – so they can blend in with any style, any time.
A Note on Material
It’s not just about choosing whether you want a grey, blue or black living room set. Along with color, there’s also material to consider. While fabric is classic, consider more untraditional (but stylish and cozy!) materials such as chenille, microfiber and leather sofas, loveseats and sofa sets.
Opt for Motion
To really make your living room set as comfortable as can be, turn it into a reclining set! Reclining sofas and armchairs – with power reclining – makes any living room a luxurious escape. This is an especially good fit if you want a room designed for movie-watching, as adjustable backrests, footrests and armrests are quintessential theater tropes!
Try Transitional Styling
One of the great things about living room sets is that they serve as a base for your accessories. Sets are designed to make decorative accents stand out – they look good through the decades as trends come and go. To make your set even more transitional, opt for classic colors that match anything. Black, white, grey and beige won’t ever go out of style; these colors also won’t clash with primary shades like pink, navy and green.
Once you have the set picked out, accessorize it! Choose accessories that speak to your style. (Not sure what your style is? Think about your wardrobe! How you choose to present yourself to the outside world via clothing is often mirrored in interior design. If you love flashy jackets with embellished beads, necklaces, embroidered boots and so on, then your design style may be something akin to glam – complete with silver mirrors, golden accent tables and nailhead-studded upholstery.) Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Throw blankets. Completing your living room set with a throw blanket is as easy as it sounds. Simply lay a blanket of your choice – something cozy that you wouldn’t mind snuggling up in! – over the arm of the seat. For a more relaxed vibe, drape it; for a more polished look, fold it.
- Rugs. Rugs pull a room together. In a living room set, use a rug in the center, with each piece on a part of it. To pull the set together without it feeling crowded, place only the front legs of each piece on the rug; this will allow the rug to connect each piece while keeping an open feel.
- Pillows. A living room isn’t complete without a throw pillow or two! In a living room set, add one to each seat, give or take. If the set is a loveseat and sofa, and the sofa seats three while the loveseat seats two, this means a total of five pillows. Go down to four if you want a more minimalist look – but up to six if you want a maximalist look!
- Furniture to complete the set. To turn your set into a functioning room, you’ll need a coffee table. Choose one that will complement the colors of your chosen set. Make sure to measure the space you have, with set positioned in place, to ensure the table will fit right in!
- Always keep an eye out! The glorious thing about decorating a living room set? It’s never done. Interior design is fluid, flexible and always going. Just when you think you have every component you need, a new rug or throw blanket might catch your eye – and work as the perfect accessory to freshen up your space. The good news? These accessories are priced affordably for this reason: seasons, tastes and trends change, so don’t be afraid to switch out your pieces when you need a refresh!