When it comes to creating your dream bedroom, there are staple pieces you need and little details you can bring in to make your retreat feel truly personal and totally comfortable.
Furnishing your bedroom involves a series of decisions, and it starts with your foundations – the bed, nightstands, dresser, chest, etc. Once you have those figured out, you can move onto the accent pieces, and choose whether to add more function to your space with a desk or bench.
Finally, you’ll layer in accessories – from rugs and pillows, to lamps, mirrors and wall décor that help translate your style and establish the vibe you want. Whether you prefer your bedroom to be light and calming, or bright and energizing, these are the items that can make it happen.
— How to Choose A Bed Frame —
- Panel Beds - In addition to a headboard and footboard that are connected by side rails, this type of bed frame features center supports. Panel beds typically require a box spring.
- Upholstered Beds - Softer than standard beds, an upholstered bed is covered in fabric from headboard to footboard. Some also feature decorative details like tufting and nailhead trim.
- Storage Beds – This type of bed frame is exceptionally functional thanks to drawers that are built into the base. Because you can store clothes, blankets, pillows and more, it’s possible to save space by skipping the nightstand, dresser or chest.
- Canopy Beds – This grand bed frame features four posts that extend from the headboard and footboard, and connect at the top to create a shelter-like silhouette. Inspired by a traditional design, contemporary canopy beds are more streamlined in style and work well in bedrooms with high ceilings.
— How to Choose Bedroom Storage Pieces —
- Dressers - Low, wide storage pieces that include six or more drawers, dressers are incredibly versatile. You can display decorative items on top or add a mirror to create a vanity.
- Chest of Drawers - Chests are typically taller and slimmer than dressers, with anywhere from three to seven drawers. They come in an array of designs, from sliding door chests that have cabinet compartments with shelving, to media chests with open shelves and cord management for storing entertainment equipment, to bachelor’s chests that are shorter and often used as a more spacious alternative to nightstands.
- Nightstands – Meant to be accessed from your bed, nightstands should sit at the same height as your mattress. Since the top of a nightstand usually holds bedside essentials, like your phone, lamp and water bottle, pick an option that is wide enough to fit everything.
— How to Choose Bedroom Accent Pieces —
- Desks – Whether you need a mini office space in your bedroom, or want a destination for inspiration, a desk can act as your ticket to more productivity and creativity. From clean, minimal designs, to options with drawers galore, you can go as simple or storage-heavy as you want.
- Benches – When placed at the end of your bed, a bench acts as the perfect perch. You can take a seat, put your shoes on, check your phone and just take a moment to relax at the beginning or end of your day. You can even find designs that allow you to store extra pillows, throws and other essentials. If you have a pet that likes to cuddle, a bench would also give them a boost to your bed. Just make sure the bench length is around three-quarters the length of your bed.
— How to Choose Bedroom Accessories —
- Rugs - Your feet need a soft place to land when you wake up, especially if your bedroom has hard floors. When choosing a rug, be sure to consider the size, which will depend on the size of your bed. Generally, you want to create a border with the rug that leaves 30 inches on each side of your bed.
- Wall Décor – Waking up and falling asleep to wall décor you love – whether it’s a fabric hanging, an inspiring piece of art or shelves filled with your favorite photos and memorabilia – can transform your bedroom into a special sanctuary that truly reflects you and the way you want to feel every day.
- Mirrors – With a variety of shapes, sizes and styles to choose from, there are plenty of mirror options that will show you who is fairest of them all. You can place a round mirror over your bed, hang a rectangle mirror above your dresser, stand a leaner mirror against your wall, or do a mirror gallery wall with a variety of designs.
- Pillows – No bedroom is complete without pillows that make your end-of-day getaway all the more irresistible. You can pile on and on and on or you can choose just a few that complement your retreat’s theme and color scheme.
- Lamps – Let there be light, whether you’re setting the mood or reading in bed. When you’re picking a lamp for your nightstand, be mindful of the height and make sure it will cast a glow where you need it most.
— Consider Bedroom Furniture with Smart Features —
- USB Ports - From headboards to nightstands, many bedroom pieces are now designed with USB ports, so you can conveniently and comfortably charge phones, E-readers and other electronic devices.
- Lamp Assist - To turn your bedside lamp on and off without any hassle, many nightstands now include a lamp assist feature. There will be an outlet you plug your lamp into, and that outlet connects to an easy-to-reach touch sensor button or strip, which you can press to control your lighting.
- AC Outlets - Cord chaos is a thing of the past when you have nightstands, media chests and other storage pieces with built-in AC power outlets. You can plug in, charge and enjoy a clean, organized look.
- Wire Management - With the simple addition of cutouts that tame lamp wires and entertainment equipment cords, many nightstands and media chests are able to streamline cluttered bedrooms.