California King Mattress
Stretch out to your heart’s content – and experience plush, spacious comfort – with the extra-long dimensions of a California King mattress.
What is a California King Mattress Size?
A California King mattress measures 72 inches by 84 inches, or 6 feet by 7 feet. This allows someone who stands over six feet to sleep comfortably – without experiencing any feet dangling over the edges!
About the California King Mattress
There’s more to a new California King mattress than just the extra length; compared to a sagging, years-old bed, a new mattress offers firm shape and quality support. As a result, a new California King mattress makes it easier to get the deep, restorative sleep you need, night after night. Choose from gel memory foam, motion isolation, edge support, medium firm, extra firm, pillow top and hybrid mattress options.
Not sure which type of mattress to get? Here’s a breakdown of common Cal King options:
- Plush mattress: Made with materials that feel softer and more forgiving. Often designed to contour around your pressure points.
- Cooling gel or gel memory foam mattress: Made with (usually beads) of a liquid that regulates temperature and helps to keep out heat. Most common in gel-infused memory foam.
- Pillow top mattress: Made with a top layer softer than the rest of the mattress.
- Innerspring mattress: Made with metal coils for a firmer surface feel.
- Pressure relief: Designed with materials that contour to the joints that “dig into” your mattress, allowing them to relax instead of stiffen. Great for side sleepers and those with back pain.
- Memory foam mattress: Made with a soft, squishy material that contours to your shape.
- Firm mattress: Made with high-density materials that provide a more supportive feel. Can include foam layers.
California King Mattress Buying Guide
If you are debating between a California King mattress and an Eastern King mattress, there a few ways to determine the best option for you.
First, consider your height. If you are over 6 feet and 3 inches, the shorter dimensions of an Eastern King may feel cramped for your comfort. On the other hand, a California King will offer an extra four inches of length, allowing for comfy wiggle room and letting you stretch out with ease.
Secondly, consider the dimensions of your room and the type of bed frame you want. An Eastern King combined with a storage bed will take up more width (remember to leave room for any pull-out drawers!). Depending on the layout of your bedroom, a California King mattress may open up the floor plan a bit more.
Finally, consider how much space you need to yourself. Do you and/or your bed partner prefer to sleep in an ‘X,’ or spread eagle, position? If so, you may want to favor width over height. If, however, you sleep alone and/or on your side, a California King mattress will provide more than a sufficient amount of width.