A trundle is a large platform on wheels that tuck under a standard bed to save space. Interestingly, the word appears to come from an old word for the sound of something rolling across the floor, which is exactly what a trundle does. The platform is designed to match the bed and maximize the use of under bed space, while modern casters make it easy to roll the platform out over hardwood floors or carpet.
Different Styles of Trundles
The beauty of a trundle bed is that the convenient rolling storage can be used in a variety of ways. Traditionally, trundle beds hold a mattress to provide additional sleeping space that can be tucked back under the main bed during the day to increase floor space in the bedroom. This allows you to double your sleeping space while maintaining a compact footprint with your bedroom furniture.
Trundles can also be used for storage. If you choose not to add a mattress, you can use the platform like a shallow drawer to hold out of season clothing, extra bedding, and even children’s toys. Some trundles are even designed with additional drawers to further maximize storage space.
Trundle Bed Tips
Try these ideas to get the most out of your trundle bed:
- Sleepover Fun: Trundles are a great choice for kids and teens who like to have friends spend the night. Just pull out the bed for a cozy get-together.
- Big Kid Beds: Switching from a crib or toddler bed to a "big" bed can be stressful. A trundle gives parents a place to crash when children are getting acclimated or need to be nursed through the flu.
- Great Guest Rooms: A small guest room can accommodate additional people with the convenience of a pull-out trundle and mattress.
- Office Daybeds: For a multi-purpose spare room, choose a daybed-style trundle bed for a piece you can use as a sofa during the day. When guests arrive, add bedding and pull out the trundle to accommodate sleepers.
- Air Mattress Versatility: If you host guests only rarely, use the trundle for storage most of the time, but keep a Twin size air mattress handy for a quick switch when you need the extra sleeping space.