What Is a Sleigh Bed?A sleigh bed is a bed that curves outward at the headboard and footboard. In appearance, it is modeled after the sleigh.
The Best Styles for a Sleigh BedMake no doubt about it: A sleigh bed steals the show, so you’ll want to tread carefully when choosing a style in which to fit it. Traditional style makes liberal use of rounded and scroll-like silhouettes – which will match the bed’s curved ends. Commonly, sleigh beds are made of wood and project a rustic atmosphere. The curved silhouette of a sleigh bed is the result of French influence from the 1800s.
Sleigh Bed Inspiration
Sleigh Bed Ideas + InspirationAre you on the fence about switching from a panel bed to a sleigh type? These ideas will convert you!
- Because they have a little extra “flourish” to them, sleigh beds work well in master bedrooms, where there’s a little extra space to work with.
- When making a sleigh bed, tuck in the bedding. A long duvet that covers the footboard will cancel out the entire purpose of a sleigh design!
- For an extra-minimalist feel, skip the duvet altogether. Try a large blanket or fitted quilt – tucked around all sides, of course!
- Take the “curved” motif to your nightstands. Ditch the traditional stand for a round bedside table.
- Remember, a sleigh design derives from the actual wooden sleighs commonly used by schoolchildren in the 19th century. During the winter season, play to this! Swap out your bedding for a seasonal Christmas blanket and pillows; imagine the sound of horses neighing and jingle bells ringing as you fall asleep at night!
- Remember, sleigh beds come in all shapes and sizes. Just because you’re a minimalist doesn’t mean a sleigh bed can’t work for your style; some variations of sleigh beds curve only slightly.
- Twin-sized sleigh beds are a great option for children, who will love the whimsical nature they represent.
- Wood sleigh beds: A solid, curved wood panel is gorgeous and timeless.
- Tufted sleigh beds: A tufted headboard and footboard that curves in a sleigh design.
- Storage sleigh beds: When talking about these bed types, attention is often focused on the curved headboard and footboard – but let’s not forget what’s beneath the bed! A sleigh bed with an under-bed trundle or storage compartment incorporates function into a beautiful design.
On Choosing a ColorDebating on the right color for your new bed? You may want to consider the effects of temperature: Remember that warm colors like tan and brown bring higher energies – and cool colors like blue and grey calm and neutralize. Both categories are popular for bedrooms and perfect for when you want your room to feel ‘energized’ and ‘relaxed,’ respectively.
— More Great Articles —
Sleighs That Slay
Read the Latest
Editorial Disclaimer: Articles featuring tips and advice are intended for educational purposes and only as general recommendations. Always practice personal discretion when using and caring for furniture, decor and related items.