Choosing the right material for your outdoor furniture can mean the difference between deterioration and durability. Here, we’ve laid out the most common material types found in outdoor furniture – and the benefits of each.
- Outdoor Teak Furniture. Because of its high durability, teak is one of the most popular wood types for outdoor furniture. Compared to other woods, teak is distinctive because it produces its own natural oils, making it resistant to mold, mildew and overall deterioration. Similar varieties of hardwood include acacia and oak.
- Outdoor Resin Wicker Furniture. Similar in appearance to rattan, resin wicker is a synthetic fiber designed specifically for use in the outdoors. Offering a natural look and feel – and little need for maintenance – resin wicker furniture is the perfect choice for creating a breezy patio or backyard ambience.
- Outdoor Plastic Furniture. The sleek texture of plastic is highly sought-after for its incredible stain-, fade- and mildew-resistant properties. Plus, because it is easy to produce, plastic – along with eco-friendly recycled plastic – is also one of the most affordable options for outdoor furniture.
- Outdoor Iron Furniture. Heavy, long-lasting and vintage-chic, iron furniture offers a versatile, classic elegance that goes with every style. Perhaps its only downside is its susceptibility to rust – but even that can be prevented with protective coatings and routine furniture maintenance!
- Outdoor Aluminum Furniture. Aluminum offers the same durability, longevity and vintage-inspired aesthetic as iron, but for a fraction of the price. Because it is so light, though, aluminum furniture is often recommended in areas with little to no winds – especially if the piece is made entirely from 100% aluminum.
— More Great Articles —
— Shop Featured Items —
Editorial Disclaimer: Articles featuring tips and advice are intended for educational purposes and only as general recommendations. Always practice personal discretion when using and caring for furniture, decor and related items.