First things first: The basic style of your bed should fit with your decorating preferences to achieve a cohesive look. Some of the most popular styles include the following:
Here are some more popular bed types; the best type of bed for you will come down to space needs (do you need a sleeker profile for a smaller space?) and your own personal style. Each of the types of bed frames below come in standard bed sizes for kids and adults’ rooms alike.
- Bunk bed: An icon of shared kids rooms, this is the only type that requires literal “climbing into bed!”
- Futon: One of the more unusual types of bed frames, this is essentially a sofa that folds out into a bed. Thanks to the two-in-one functionality, it’s the kind of design that makes small space living a breeze.
- Panel/platform bed: Panel and platform beds are the more common beds – they look like what you picture when you picture a bed. Four legs, and usually a sideboard, footboard and headboard, define the look.
- Storage bed: A storage bed is a panel/platform bed, but instead of the bottom of the bed ending where the mattress platform ends, it extends to the floor; the area between the floor and mattress contains drawers for storage.
- Sleigh bed: One of the more different types of beds, a sleigh bed is a panel/platform bed that curves like a sleigh – a traditional design that adds instant character to any space.
All beds are sized to hold standard mattresses. The dimensions below are for the mattresses; you’ll need to add a few inches on all sides to account for the bed frame itself. Consider the number of sleepers as well as the height of each sleeper to choose the most comfortable bed:
Choosing the Right Headboard
Beds for Small Spaces
If you’re outfitting a small bedroom, storage beds can help you make the most of your space. These styles come with built-in drawers for extra storage space under your mattress, making it easier to live without a bulky dresser.
You’ll also want to carefully measure your room before choosing which size bed you want for a small space. Remember that Twin- and Full-size beds are several inches shorter than other mattresses and can save valuable space.
— More Great Articles —
— Read the Latest —
Editorial Disclaimer: Articles featuring tips and advice are intended for educational purposes and only as general recommendations. Always practice personal discretion when using and caring for furniture, decor and related items.