Under 50'' Width Clearance Small Space Kids Dressers + Chests3 items starting at $250
Kids Dressers and Chests
Growing kids need plenty of space to store their treasures, and that includes their clothing. While most bedrooms have a closet with a hanging bar and high shelf, small children will have trouble accessing items stored so far above their heads. Adding a chest of drawers to their furniture suite will allow younger kids to reach all of their items easily, which will in turn foster more independence and pride in their room.
When searching for kids dressers and kids dresser sets, it’s important to know what you’re looking for. The terms "dresser" and "chest of drawers" are often used interchangeably, but there’s one big difference. A chest of drawers includes a cabinet with a set of drawers built into it, while a dresser refers to the same piece of furniture with a mirror that attaches to the top of the chest.
Both chests and dressers come in varying heights. Shorter, wider pieces are usually the best choices for a child’s room because you won’t have to worry about the top drawers being out of reach. Dressers that have a lower center of gravity are also less likely to tip over than tall dressers, so they’re often a safer choice for young children.
To choose the right dresser for your child, be sure to consider the following features:
- Size: Measure your child’s bedroom to make sure the dresser fits well in the room, with plenty of space to walk around the dresser and open the drawers.
- Color: Consider your decor to choose a coordinating finish. Dark colors will hide dirt best, while matte finishes are less prone to fingerprints and smudges.
- Drawer Type: Will your child prefer many small drawers or a few large ones? Some dressers come with a variety of drawer sizes, usually with smaller compartments near the top.
- Style: Furniture pieces with simple lines are easier to keep clean and will blend many decorating styles easily as your child grows and his or her tastes change. Look at the hardware to see if its finish and style reflects your taste as well.
- Safety Features: For taller dressers, it’s a good idea to look for anti-tip brackets that you can use to anchor your dresser to the wall.
Complete a bedroom, and provide more storage, with a chest of drawers. This handy piece of furniture is ideal for storing the small and awkward clothing that doesn't fit well in a closet, and it takes up less floor space than a dresser. Choose a chest with full-width drawers to hold bulky items, or find one with a few smaller drawers along with the wide ones, so you have a place for trinkets and treasures.
For even more versatile storage options, add a toy chest or an armoire to the room. These purpose-built pieces are perfect in a child's bedroom, and they can be used in different ways as your child gets older. The toy chest becomes a blanket chest – and the armoire provides more room for clothing and accessories as the children, and their wardrobes, grow.
Chests are an integral part of our bedroom collections, so when you choose the style you want — contemporary, traditional, transitional or casual — you can be sure to get the coordinating pieces that meet your particular needs.