Bedding with filters applied10 items starting at $55
Bedding and Comforters
The look of your bed affects the overall feel of your bedroom. To create a bed that truly stuns, you’ll need a quality comforter and bedding.
How to Choose a Bedding Set
Ready to add some style through your bedding? Choosing the right bedding for your bedroom starts with the comforter’s color. First, take into consideration the color of your sheets – are they bright white? Warm white? Cool blue? For a traditionally-made bed, most comforters will be folded over a few inches from the headboard – meaning that when the bed is made, the sheets will be visible. Choose a comforter color that accentuates the sheets (or vice versa). While a darker comforter with lighter sheets is popular, consider flipping the roles (lighter comforter with darker sheets) for a more eclectic look!
Types of Bedding Sets
Bedding sets come in different types. Here are the most popular (and what exactly they mean):
- Type #1: Duvet Cover. A duvet cover allows you to switch up the mood of your comforter (duvet insert) as the seasons, your mood and trends change. Duvet covers come with holiday-themed patterns and summer, winter, spring and fall colors.
- Type #2: Duvet Cover + Shams. If a duvet cover isn’t enough and you really want to turn up the music for your bedroom style, consider a cover + sham set. This comes with one duvet cover and two covers for your bed pillows. In these sets, the shams often match whatever pattern, color and material the duvet is.
- Type #3: Quilt + Shams. A quilt and sham set is the perfect option if you prefer to keep your blanket the same (unlike duvets, quilts don’t have covers that can be swapped in and out for style) but like to mix up the pillows.
- Type #4: Quilt. A quilt is a large throw blanket (large enough to cover the entire bed and sleep under). One reasons for purchasing a quilt over a duvet cover would be that you don’t own a duvet insert or have no plans to refresh your bedding as the seasons change. Another reason would be that you prefer the feel of quilts over duvets; while duvets are puffy, quilts are thin.
- Type #5: Reversible Quilt. A reversible quilt can be turned over to display a new pattern or color if you feel bored with the top layer. Choose a reversible quilt to mix up your bedroom style in a cinch – and affordably.
- Type #6: Pillow Shams. If you need a pillow refresh (and who doesn’t every now and then?), a set of shams is your affordable option. Designed to slip over a pillow insert, shams can easily be taken off and washed – without the pillow itself.
Why Even Use a Bedding Set (Duvet, Shams, Quilt)?
If you have a sheet set, mattress and pillows, do you even need a bedding set? The answer is yes – if you want to feel more stylish. A duvet or quilt is a quick and easy way to add color and pattern to a room; it also makes the bed look and feel cozier. Throw in some cute shams, and you’ve got yourself a hotel vibe that will make it easy to come home to every night!
A popular choice of material for bedding is linen. Linen is a breathable fabric made from the flaxseed plant – a natural alternative to synthetic blends. While linen can be soft (especially when blended with synthetic materials in a duvet), polyester and other synthetic blend bedding sets feel softer – making them just as popular as linen varieties. Other not-as-common materials for bedding include Tencel, cotton and bamboo.
Bedding Styling Ideas
Over a bedding set, style a throw blanket – and a few throw pillows! Accenting a duvet, shams and/or quilt with additional items can bring your room to life. Style by colors, texture and/or patterns. A white bedding set with a black throw blanket and throw pillows creates high contrast – key for a dramatic bedroom mood. If you want to heighten the level of coziness, pile it on: the more cushions, throws and layers of quilts/comforters, the cozier!
Choosing, Buying and Styling Bedding Sets: A Summary
Choosing to refresh your bedroom with a new bedding set is one of the best and most affordable decorating decisions you can make. Easy to place and store away when not in use, bedding brings color, comfort and texture. Use it to refresh with the seasons: bright and pastel colors feel summery and great for spring, while rich and dark colors feel wintery and great for fall.
Bedding sets come in different types, including ones with shams, a quilt and a duvet cover. Choose one that will bring the colors and patterns you want to emphasize in your bedroom. Since your bedroom is where you spend the majority of your life, making sure you have a cozy place to sleep that matches your personality is a must!
Once you have brought home your bedding set, let the styling begin: throw on extra blankets and pillows for a cozier look. Shams and a quilt (or duvet cover) on their own look simple – an okay style for some, but not enough for others! To cozy up the look, pick out accenting pillows and throws that match the bedding set colors and materials.
Bedding sets are easy to store – so stock up on them now so that you’ll always be ready for a room refresh. Browse the selection above to shop the latest trends today. (And once you’ve placed your new set over your bed, let that “new bed” feeling wash over you – there’s nothing quite like that instant style change!)