Living Room Accent Pieces
Give your space a refreshing pop of style with a living room accent piece.
Accent Pieces Definition
Accent pieces are types of furniture and décor designed to add a pop of style to living rooms, bedrooms and other interior spaces. In the form of furniture, accent pieces often have eye-catching silhouettes and bright colors and are often made with unusual materials.
Types of Accent Pieces
An accent furniture piece is any piece that stands out in a room. Here are just a few of the common types of accent furniture:
- Accent tables: Accent tables are an easy way to fill in any awkward corners or spaces ‘left over’ after styling a living room or other interior.
- Benches: Sleek and practical, accent benches come in a variety of colors and styles to blend in with any design scheme.
- Poufs, stools and ottomans: Poufs, stools and ottomans add chic flair – and extra seating.
Styling with an Accent Pieces
Although there is no hard rule for styling accent pieces (like with all areas of interior design, it’s best to style accent pieces wherever suits your fancy) there have risen through the decades a few signature decorating methods that have outlasted trends and fads – and continue to be popularly embraced by interior designers everywhere. Here are just a few of the most popular methods – and how to incorporate them into your own style and space.
- Integrating ‘accent style’ into a core element of the room’s design. When your coffee table, armchair, or even TV console is designed in a vibrant shade or with unique detailing, you get the best of both style and practicality.
- ‘Layering’ accent pieces. Another way of incorporating accent decor into your interiors is through the ‘rule of three.’ (In interior design, the ‘rule of three’ states that furniture and décor should be styled in ‘groups’ of three to maintain a feng shui openness.) When incorporating the rule of three, keep each piece in a different height and in a slightly different shade to create a ‘layered’ look and maintain a sense of depth.
- ‘Corner’ accents. If you’re looking for a place to style a new accent piece, look to the corners. Like an artist’s blank canvas, an empty living room corner holds a wealth of style potential and provides a crisp backdrop for a bold chair or other accent furniture.