A classic media chest with spacious storage may be just the thing your bedroom needs for chic-yet-practical style. Learn here exactly what a media chest is, and how it can transform your space.
What Is a Media Chest?
A media chest is a bedroom furniture piece equipped to both store personal items like clothes and accessories and hold a television or other entertainment console.
How to Choose the Best Media Chest for Your Space
Before you decide on a media chest for your bedroom, measure your space – and look up the dimensions of the designs you are considering. Having a media chest arrive in your home, only to realize it won’t fit through your doors or in with your other bedroom furniture, can cause unnecessary trouble. Along with measuring your space, you’ll also want to make sure that the piece you are eyeing is, in fact, a media chest (and not simply a chest of drawers). Read carefully the product description – or, if you are in-store, talk to a salesperson) – to make sure it is equipped to hold heavy electronic equipment such as televisions.
Media Chests with Smart Features
Some media chests come with tech-friendly features designed to bring practicality to bedroom lounging. Here are just a few of them:
- Ports for electronic cord organization. Many media chests feature a hole carved out in the back paneling designed to group together cords and wires. This makes it easy to keep a clean appearance – no matter how many electronics you have plugged in!
- HDMI ports, RCA jacks and power outlets. Whether you want to plug in a TV for bedtime binge-watching or a gaming console for when you’re feeling competitive, look for a media console with power outlets, HDMI ports and/or RCA jacks for effortless setup and organization.
Types of Media Chests
- Media chests with shelves (and drawers). This type of media chest marries style and function, thanks to a combination of spacious drawers and shelves and modern chic silhouettes.
- Media chests with drawers. While all media chests have drawers, not all media chests have the same drawer types. Look for media chests with fewer, more spacious drawers if you need to store bulkier items like bedding and clothes – and smaller, more multiplicitous drawers for miscellaneous accessories.
- Media chests for children’s rooms. The size of the media chest itself will also play a large role in the overall look and feel of your bedroom space. While most media chests are on the larger side (with some spanning as wide as 60 inches), there are some streamlined models of 40 inches or less, designed specifically to fit in kids’ rooms (and other types of small spaces).